Sore Throat Remedies – My Top 6 Natural Cures
Sore Throat Remedies
Having a sore throat can really make you miserable, as well as making it difficult to eat and even swallow. I’ve been prone to sore throats since I was a child so have got a set of tried and tested remedies for painful throats for you here, so before you go to the doctor try these out!
My favorite sore throat remedies:
1. Propolis and Manuka Honey Sweets
You can find these lozenges in your local health store. The great thing about Honey is that it has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This is particularly strong in Propolis and Manuka honey so as well as providing soothing relief from the pain of a sore throat, they can kill any bacteria and if you use them early enough stop bacterial infections such as tonsillitis and strep throat. This is my all time favourite sore throat home cure!
2. Sore Throat Remedies with Cayenne Pepper
Strange though it sounds, cayenne pepper is an amazing tool for soothing and even curing a painful throat as it has great healing properties. I have two preferred ways of using these ingredients, firstly you can gargle with either one of them, or secondly you can make a tea with the pepper and some other ingredients. This is another one of my favorite sore throat home remedies.
Cayenne Pepper Gargling Solution – mix a teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper into some warm water and gargle. Repeat every few hours. It can take about 24hours before you feel relief, although many people find that the pain subsides after even just one gargle. I find this one of the most incredibly effective sore throat remedies!
Top Tip: Put some lipgloss, chapstick or similar on your lips so that you don’t feel a burning sensation.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar, Cayenne Pepper, Lemon, & Honey Tea
This sore throat remedy works really well if done with the Cayenne Pepper Gargling Remedy above.
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 small pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Juice from a quarter of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey (Manuka honey is best but if you don’t have it or can’t afford it normal honey works too)
Although this sounds a bit disgusting, the sweetness of the honey cancels out the vinegar and lemon. If you still find it too acidic, you can add more honey to taste. You can also add it to your favorite fruit tea, herbal tea such as chamomile, or green tea (I love jasmine green tea and it has healing properties in itself which is great) to improve the taste.
4. Sore Throat Remedies from Chinese Medicine
Honeysuckle flower tea
Honeysuckle flower is a sweet tasting herb that is very popular in Chinese medicine remedies. It can be a little hard to find, if you are lucky you may live near some honeysuckle flower plants, but if not try your local health food shop or even better, a Chinese herbal shop.
How to make it:
Boil 1 cup of water then add a quarter of a cup of honeysuckle flowers (remove any leaves). Cover the mixture and leave it for 10-20 minutes, then use a sieve to remove the flowers and enjoy the tasty tea!
Drink up to 4 cups a day.
5. Sore Throat Remedies with a Salt Water Gargle
Salt is another very powerful healing tool. Why? Because the nasty bacteria and viruses that cause things like sore throats, cannot survive in very salty environments, and also it helps to reduce swelling and inflammation, which in turn relieves your pain!
How to make it:
Take 2 cups of water, boil and then mix in 3 teaspoons of salt. When the mixture cools gargle, then spit! Repeat every few hours. Some people like to add
Any salt will do, but if you can get it sea salt for cooking is great as it has very little impurities and is a very natural form of salt.
6. Sore Throat Remedies from African culture
Sage & Fennel
Although sage originated in Crete, it now thrives in America. This remedy was popular among African slaves, who commonly distrusted white doctors.
- 1 ounce of sage leaves
- ¾ of an ounce of fennel seeds
Boil a cup of water and mix in 1 and ½ teaspoons of the above mixture, and leave for 10 minutes while covering it. You can gargle to relieve the pain of your sore throat, and if you have an infection in your mouth or its great to drink due to it’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It tastes better than the cayenne tea in my opinion, with a sweet and mild liquorice taste.
NOTE: this remedy is not suitable for children!
Other handy tips, tricks and sore throat remedies:
- A dry room will make your sore throat worse, so if you have a humidifier this can help, but if not simply put a bowl of water above a radiator and this will do the trick.
- Breathe through your nose rather than your mouth, this helps to humidify the air that you breath in.
- Echinachea is a great help for all respiratory conditions, not only relieving the symptoms but also hastening your recovery.
- Drink lots of fluids, this helps your body fight off infection, and keeps your throat from drying out.
- Take Vitamin C (500mg-1000mg) a day – again this helps fight infection – reduce the intake if you start to get loose poo.
- Get lots of sleep! One of the best ways of healing any illness.
When to visit a doctor about your sore throat
If your sore throat becomes excessively painful and you don’t get any relief within 24hrs do go to the doctor in case you have something like strep thoat or tonsillitis (although be aware that if caught early many of these sore throat remedies can stop these nasty conditions from developing. White lumps at the back of the throat are usually a sign of one of those infections.) Similarly if your sore throat has lasted more than 1 week, or if you have a temperature of over 101 degrees it’s also worth going to the doctor to be on the safe side.
Everybody is different so some treatments will work better than others for you.
Try these sore throat remedies out and let me know what you think!